Call for Papers
The 15th annual meeting of the Association for Studies of Culture and Representation
The Association for Studies of Culture and Representation (ASCR) will hold its 15th annual meeting on 4 December 2021 at Kyoto Seika University. The meeting was originally planned to take place at Kyoto Seika University, but with the ongoing spread of COVID-19 in consideration, the ASCR has decided to hold it online via Zoom, in order to keep our members safe and provide an equal opportunity for participation. Yet, the symposium is to be held at Kyoto Seika University (the ASCR will announce later if the symposium is also broadcast real-time). If you plan to read a paper, please follow the guideline below and send your proposal to the Program Committee. We invite members to submit proposals for presentations.
The Association, founded in 2006, is an organization dedicated to promoting interdisciplinary studies of the humanities. Centring on the concept of representation, we cover a wide variety of fields that have largely been neglected by conventional academia. We also encourage communication between creators and academics.
The speaker must be an ASCR member.
We welcome a wide range of papers in the field of culture and representation. Papers already presented or published elsewhere are not accepted. Each paper will be allotted 25 minutes.
1) Individual Papers
Please download 【form_15E.doc】 and fill in all the boxes. Applicants must submit papers in attachment form via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 22 October. Please title the e-mail “Proposal for the 15th Annual Meeting” and rename the file as “your surname.doc” (e.g. suzuki.doc). The form requires the following information:
- Speaker’s name, affiliation, position and e-mail address
- Paper title
- Paper abstract (200 words or less)
- Speaker’s previous papers and presentations on this topic (if any)
We also welcome proposals for workshops that do not fall into the category of “individual papers” (workshops will be held regularly on future annual meetings). Please download 【form_15WSE.doc】 and fill in all the boxes. Applicants must submit papers in attachment form via e-mail to email@example.com by no later than 22 October. Please title the e-mail “Proposal for the 15th Annual Meeting” and rename the file as “your surname.doc” (e.g. suzuki.doc). The form requires the following information:
- Organizer’s name, affiliation, position and e-mail address [the organizer must be an ASCR member, and other speakers are encouraged to become ASCR members, though this is not required]
- Workshop title
- Workshop abstract (200 words or less)
- Speakers’ name, affiliation, position and e-mail address
4. Proposal Deadline
Friday 22 October 2021
The Program Committee will review the proposals. Papers with diversity in subject matter, methodology or the participants’ background will be merited. Results will be sent by e-mail to every proposer by late October.
Both Japanese and English are acceptable for the proposal form and panel sessions. If you present a paper in Japanese Sign Language, please contact the Program Committee in advance.
Speakers will present their papers by using their own devices and connecting to the online platform the ACRC provides.
Workshop speakers may meet together in such a place like a college classroom and broadcast their panel, insofar as they take appropriate safety measures, though the ASCR expects that they stay home and individually connect to the online platform. Also, workshop speakers may have their conference room open to the public, insofar as they take appropriate safety measures; however, it is requested that questions and comments in the room are shared online. When the ASCR judges that the safety of attendees is not properly secured, the panel will be canceled.
9. Membership Fees
The Association enrolment fee is 1,000 yen. The annual membership fee is 10,000 yen for members and 5,000 yen for student members or category B members (members over 75 years old, part-time lecturers and unemployed researchers). For details, please visit http://www.repre.org/association/admission/
10. Digital Devices Grants
The ASCR will offer student members or category B members up to 5000 yen for purchasing digital devices such as webcams, headsets, and so on. However, as the ASCR sets up an online platform like Zoom, no grant is given to buy an account on any online platform. Basically, applicants will be reimbursed by presenting a receipt as a proof of purchase. Please let us know if you would like to apply for this grant when you submit a proposal.
Childcare grants will be available for members who require childcare during the conference. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you present a paper in Japanese Sign Language and need sign language interpretation, contact the Program Committee.
- The Program Committee assigns each proposal to an appropriate panel. Please be noted that if we have many proposals, applicants may be contacted individually and asked to present their papers either on 3 December or on 5 December.
- Speakers must satisfy the conditions as specified in the Copyright Act of Japan (Article 32 (1)) when they quote materials whose copyrights they do not own (for instance, when sharing image files and/or videos in their presentations, they must properly attribute them by providing a credit line on the same screen). If necessary, speakers are responsible for obtaining permission from copyright holders. If you have any questions about how to quote materials, please contact the Program Committee at email@example.com.